Friday, May 3, 2013

Bofrot/Boflot/Bofloat = Ball Float

Oh man one of my favorite snacks,well according to one of the friends of Theedee's cuisine page on fb(Maha-Marissa) these are called ball float (like balls floating in oil) but somehow Ghanaians we ended up with bofrot or bofloat (Gotta love Ghanaians lol). I had a craving for these just like they sell on the streets in Accra but I couldn't find none in New York so what does a foodie like me do I go on a search for the recipe. And waa-la I found it from my Auntie Mary of course lol.They taste close to exactly what I was craving for.

Ingredients:


  • 2 cups of flour 
  • 2 teaspoons of yeast
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/3 cup of sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon of salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg
  • 1/3 cup  of lukewarm water
  • 2 tablespoons of milk
  • Oil for frying
Method:
    1. Stir yeast in 1/4 cup of warm water. Stir in 1 teaspoon of sugar and set aside for 10mins. If the mixture doubles in volume the yeast is active
    2. Mix your flour,butter,sugar,nutmeg and stir in the yeast. Slowly add in your milk and water. 
    3. Sprinkle some flour on a clean surface and knead your mixture till its very smooth and doesn't stick to the surface (this is the longest process for this whole recipe,usually takes about 10-15mins because you want the dough to be very smooth). 
    4. Cut pieces of the dough and mold it into small balls, place on a baking sheet(sprinkle some flour on the sheet)
    5. Cover with napkin or towel and allow the dough to rise(usually takes 30mins to an hour to rise, it also depends on how warm the kitchen is, the heat enables it to rise faster)
    6. Fry until golden brown. (When the oil is extremely hot it doesn't take a long time for it to brown so keep stirring and keep paying attention to it)

    Dissolving yeast
      Milk and water mixture


      Flour-ed baking sheet to place the ball float

      Step by step after kneading


      A perfectly risen bofrot. I was so happy when I saw this. Haha. 

      Another perfectly risen ball float lol
      Step by step frying stages, as you can see the ball floats were browning very quickly but don't take them out just yet because you want the insides to be well done. 
      In the process
      Ball floating in oil I loved how this turned out :-D 

      Hot and tasty! Haha. :-)



      This is how the inside of the ball float should look. If the dough is still stretchy that means its not ready




      Too good. Ps: someone placed an order for this lol,...wasn't for the house



















      13 comments:

      1. I made this omg was so yummy!!!! keep the recipe coming can you please post the recipe for your barbecue chicken wings? thank you so much you rock

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Thank you! I am glad it turned out great for you and you enjoyed it! Are you referring to the BBG chicken wings I posted on the facebook page a while back?

          Delete
        2. Yes that one... Your ingredients is the best i grew up in texas so not familiar with Ghana meals but I've learned about 8 different meals from you. Keep posting them please

          Delete
        3. I am glad you have liked that many recipes from me. Will try to write up a recipe for the BBQ chicken sometime this weekend! Thank you for checking out Theedee's cuisine!

          xoxo

          Delete
      2. I must say, this is the BEST bofrot recipe I've found thus far..Tastes like the real deal. Plus the whole family loves it!! THANK YOU for taking the time to post it=)..It's better than what I buy at the African Shop. Won't be going there anymore for bofrot..

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Probably the best thing I've read all day. Idk who you are or where you are but THANK YOU! And God bless you! I am glad you and the family enjoyed it!!!

          Delete
      3. Perfect recipe, tasty Bofrots!! I tried it and I loved it so much! ..tastes unique: ..kind of crunchy outer and tangy - yet not soggy, inner. I left a few and reheated them in a microwave - just to see how it turns out overnight - and it still tasted good. THANKS FOR SHARING!! I'll be making them more often :-). I've been trying online Bofrot recipes and THIS IS MY BEST so far + this is my first time of commenting on a recipe online.

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Thank you Nana for taking your time to leave this amazing feedback! I am glad you loved your bofrot!! Thank you for stopping by.


          Xo,

          Theedee

          Delete
      4. I keep coming back to this recipe. So easy to follow, I love it! Are you on you tube? Thank you

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Hi Abena,

          Thank you for stopping by and I am glad this recipe was easy to follow. Yes I am on YouTube(still working on the videos) but its Theodora Akua.

          Thank you for the support.

          God Bless.

          Theedee

          Delete
      5. Where do you add the salt? As it was not instructed in your steps

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Hi, sorry for the late response, the salt is added with the dried ingredients.

          Delete
      6. hi. on the ingredients you have 1/3 cup of warm water. and you have 1/2 cup of water with 2 TBSP of milk in the picture.
        do you add both to mixture or is the 1/3 supposed to be 1/2 cup of water?

        ReplyDelete

      Angwamu ni toolo beef(Rice w/ oil & salted beef)

      Heeyyyy! Look who it is AGAIN!!! Haha! Yes, I am trying to keep my word. Today I wanted to share one of the commonest rice recipes that wer...