Thursday, January 8, 2015

Tsofi/Chofi(Turkey tails)

Let me start off by saying if you aren't ready to do some serious cleaning on this meat then please just buy it from the African markets or restaurants  lol because this recipe calls for a lot of major cleaning and pulling lol. The end result is delicious but the process is just draining lol. So here we go. 

Ingredients 
  • 1 lb turkey tails
  • 1 tablespoon seasoning salt
  • 1-2 tablespoons red powdered pepper(depending on how spicy you want it)
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon ginger powder
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder(optional)
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
  • Oil for frying


Method:
  1. Make sure you wash the turkey tails very well, removing all sight of dirt, also removing any straw/hairy like things you might find in them(these really need to come out before anything else) and as much fat off as you can(I say this because there's a lot of fat on this part of the turkey)
  2. After you are done washing it well, season with the all the spices and refrigerate for about an hour or 2 or even overnight(if you are not in a rush to make it) 
  3. In a medium saucepan, pour in enough oil that will be used for deep frying the turkey tails. On medium heat, heat up the oil and fry till its golden brown.
  4. After you are done frying you can enjoy it as it is with some fried yams or you can sprinkle some kebab powder on it(if you have some at hand)

This is how the turkey tail looks before cleaning and cutting into the little tiny pieces. As you can tell it needs a lot of cleaning

Seasoned over night



Top left was plain fried turkey tails, bottom left is when the kebab powder was added, the right pictures a special sauce was added to it. 

7 comments:

  1. I love your blogs , I'm definitely trying out some of your recipes this weekend yay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing. I made this tonight with green beans, white potatoes & macaroni and cheese...it was a hit with my very picky family

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing. I made this tonight with green beans, white potatoes & macaroni and cheese...it was a hit with my very picky family

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mizz T, I am glad to hear that. Thank you for stopping by. :-)

      Delete
  4. Thank you for the recipe, I've been looking for a Chofi recipe for a while now...
    You mentioned red peppers twice and I wondered what kind of pepper - is that scotch bonnet & red bell pepper?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eudora,

      So the first red pepper I mentioned is just powdered pepper and the 2nd pepper is red pepper flakes which is basically dried red pepper seeds

      Delete

Angwamu ni toolo beef(Rice w/ oil & salted beef)

Heeyyyy! Look who it is AGAIN!!! Haha! Yes, I am trying to keep my word. Today I wanted to share one of the commonest rice recipes that wer...