Sunday, January 18, 2015

Beans stew(Red red)

I remember this was one of my favorite dishes growing up in Ghana. Right after Jollof, and banku & okra lol, I enjoyed it at home and the ones they sold on the streets(which was slightly different than the recipe here). So I decided why not share a recipe. Been a long time coming though lol.


Ingredients:

  • 2 cups blackeyepeas 
  • 3-4 tablespoons of Palm oil(canola or vegetable oil is fine if you don't have palm oil)
  • 2 onions
  • 4 tomatoes
  • 1 teaspoon ginger
  • 1 scotch bonnet pepper(Jamaican hot pepper)
  • 1 small can of mackerel(optional, I use it because the family love it)
  • Spices to taste

Method:

  1. Pour the beans in a small sauce pan, add about 4 or more cups of water to it, set on medium high, and cook until it's soft to touch. While that's cooking blend 1 and half onion,tomatoes,ginger and pepper
  2. In a separate sauce pan, pour in palm oil with some sliced onions, sauté the onions for about a minute, pour in the blended ingredients, allow that to cook for about 15-20minutes
  3. Add in the cooked beans, allow that to simmer for about 5mins, add in your mackerel, let it simmer for another 20mins and serve with some gari and fried plantains

This was served with kaaklo and some gari
Beans stew with gari and fried plantains

No comments:

Post a Comment

Angwamu ni toolo beef(Rice w/ oil & salted beef)

Heeyyyy! Look who it is AGAIN!!! Haha! Yes, I am trying to keep my word. Today I wanted to share one of the commonest rice recipes that wer...