Thursday, February 28, 2013

Jollof Rice

Almost everyone's favorite dish. I love jollof rice. One of the first dishes I learned how to make.

Ingredients:

  • 1 or 2 pounds of goat meat
  • 3 onions
  • 4 tomatoes
  • 1 medium can of tomato paste (this gives the jollof its color)
  • 1 medium can of tomato sauce (optional)
  • 1/2 cup of oil
  • 1 teaspoon of grated ginger
  • 1 scotch bonnet pepper (or depending on how hot you like your jollof)
  • Spices (curry powder, lawry's seasoning salt, adobo, maggi or your preferred seasoning salt)
  • 3 cups of rice (I always use Jasmine rice...but whichever rice you have would work)
Method:
  1. Wash and clean goat meat, remove any fat on it.
  2.  Season well and steam for about 25 minutes until it's ready
  3. Fry the goat meat
  4. Blend onions, tomatoes, ginger and scotch bonnet pepper
  5. In a cooking pot, add oil and sliced onions and let it cook for about a minute (DO NOT LET IT BURN)....
  6. Pour in blended ingredients, add your tomato paste and sauce and spices, and let that simmer for 15 - 20 minutes
  7. Add rice, and a cup of water in it (you don't want to have mashed jollof so not too much water..lol) cover with foil and let it cook. :-) 
  8. Stir about once or twice
  9. The rice would ready when its soft to the touch
  10. Serve with fried or grilled chicken, curry goat, oxtail, beef sauce, fried plantain, African salad (it pretty much goes with anything lol. :-)


The process and ingredients



Making the jollof rice
Jollof rice :-) 

This was for a baby shower, I cooked for

9 comments:

  1. I am so happy you have this website i dont think you understand how much you helped me when it comes to cooking God bless you and please put up more recipes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Abigail,

      Thank you for the comment. I am glad I have been able to help. I am working on some more recipes will keep updating the blog as the days go. Thank you for stopping by. :-)

      Delete
  2. I just finished making this and I loveeeee it! You need a show or youtube channel seriously. Your recipes are so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello,
      Glad you enjoyed it!! Thank you stopping by and for the compliments. Will put the youtube channel into consideration. :-)

      Delete
  3. Thank goodness another Ghanaian food blogger. Just found ur blog and the recipes u have seem amazing and a lot for me to put my cooking to test. Thanks for thinking abt some of us who need to perfect things in the kitchen. Can't wait for try them out. God bless u. Any idea on how to make jollof with powered shrimps with kpakoshito and very little tomato..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're more than welcome.

      Can you please email me at Theodora.aninakwa@gmail.com I am not sure I understand exactly how you want the Jollof. Just with powdered and kpaposhito? or you want to include a tomato or 2?

      Delete
  4. I love your page! How much of the spices/salt do you usually add? A teaspoon each?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Depends on how much stew I have, ideally a teaspoon to start with and adjust to taste as you're cooking.

      Delete

Angwamu ni toolo beef(Rice w/ oil & salted beef)

Heeyyyy! Look who it is AGAIN!!! Haha! Yes, I am trying to keep my word. Today I wanted to share one of the commonest rice recipes that wer...