Saturday, April 20, 2013

Scones (rock/rough buns)

I must confess I didn't know the real name for these until I started learning how to cook. I always called them rock/rough buns like they did in Ghana. LOL. Very simple but yet yummy scones. Can be great for tea for breakfast or just a snack.

Ingredients:

  • 3 cups of flour
  • 5 teaspoons of baking powder
  • 1 egg (beaten)
  • 1 cup of milk 
  • 3/4 cup of butter (1 stick and a half)
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/3 cup of dried fruits like raisins could be added if you want it different from the plain old scones
Method:

  1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F(175 degrees C)
  2. Grease your muffin pan or baking sheet
  3. Combine flour,butter,nutmeg,salt and baking powder. Mix it well it you have a bread crumb like texture, then add your sugar
  4. In a separate bowl mix your milk and egg, and slowly stir it in the flour mix until its moistened. 
  5. Bread crumb like texture
    After adding the liquid ingredients, ready for the oven
  6. Put a tablespoon or 1/4 cup full in the muffin pans OR turn out dough on to a very light flour surface, knead very briefly. Roll out the dough into 1/2 inch thick round and cut into 8 piece, place each piece on the baking sheet and bake for about 15-20 minutes
Before coating with milk

In the oven almost ready

I just made medium sized balls and baked it in a greased pan
These are not so rough buns but close lol













2 comments:

  1. Hi Theodora, it's me Grace again lol.... I'm following this recipe, this is my first time making it so I hope it turns out great. I didn't measure anything cos I just don't like doing it haha. Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete

Angwamu ni toolo beef(Rice w/ oil & salted beef)

Heeyyyy! Look who it is AGAIN!!! Haha! Yes, I am trying to keep my word. Today I wanted to share one of the commonest rice recipes that wer...