Friday, February 28, 2014

Kelewele (Spicy Fried Plantain)

Ahhhh!! Who remembers kelewele from Ghana. Just passing by the lady making it will make you want to stop and buy some! If you don't know by now I am a plantain addict, yes I love PLANTAINS!! lol So its safe to say this has got to be one of my favorite things too. This goes very well with some peanuts.

Video for kelewele is on my YouTube channel at - Theedee's Kelewele(Spicy fried plantain)


Ingredients:

  • 2 yellow plantains
  • 1 tablepoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon powdered ginger or 1 fresh ginger
  • 1 & 1/2 tablespoons of powdered red pepper (cayenne could be used if you don't have the red pepper from the African shops) or 2 or 3 fresh red pepper
  • 3 ginger
  • Oil for frying
Ps: You can blend ginger,scotch bonnet pepper and some powdered red pepper if you don't have the powdered ginger(that gives you the authentic kelewele after all, but to make things easier I like the powdered stuff). You can increase the amount of spices to use depending on your preference some like it really spicy, others don't. 

Method:
  1. Peel plantain and wash it. Cut the plantain into small sizes (see pictures below).
  2. Season plantains with salt,ginger and pepper, set it aside for about 30minutes if you want it to "marinate" very well(that's if you have time to spare)
  3. If using fresh ginger,garlic and pepper blend it, pour it on the cut plantains, let it marinate(yes lol) for a while then go to number 4.
  4. In a frying pan, on medium heat, heat up the oil, pour seasoned plantains in and fry till its golden brown(see after picture)
The ingredients (using the powdered pepper and ginger,which I got when I was in Ghana)
Before seasoning(I cut the plantain into 2, then into another 2, that's how I got these sizes)
Well seasoned and ready for frying


Deep frying the kelewele(so you will need enough oil for this, that's why I didn't specify how much oil you will need)


Yummy kelewele
Yummy kelewele with roasted peanuts







3 comments:

  1. Hey LAdy, just came across your blog and its fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello,

      Thank you for stopping by and for your comment. Means alot to me!! Appreciate it!

      Delete

Angwamu ni toolo beef(Rice w/ oil & salted beef)

Heeyyyy! Look who it is AGAIN!!! Haha! Yes, I am trying to keep my word. Today I wanted to share one of the commonest rice recipes that wer...