Saturday, March 16, 2013

Curry Goat

My 2nd favorite Jamaican dish. When I first tasted this dish I wanted to be smart and find out the ingredients that was used for it by just tasting it. Well let's just say I failed LOL but hey that's all part of learning right? :-) Well finally after asking some people and adding my own I got the ingredients right. This goes very well with either white rice or rice n peas, I even had it with fried rice and jollof (YUM!!)

Ingredients:

  • 2 pounds of goat meat (cubed) 
  • 2 tablespoons of curry powder (I like mine with a lot of curry so you can use 2 teaspoons instead if you don't want too much curry)
  • 2 diced onions
  • 2 scotch bonnet pepper(Jamaican hot pepper)
  • 2 teaspoons of thyme
  • 4 cloves of garlic (optional for those who are not big fans of garlic)
  • 1 teaspoon of grated ginger
  • 1 teaspoon of butter
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/2 a pound of carrots (diced)  [Optional for those who would rather not have it in there]
  • 1/2 a pound of potatoes (diced)[Also optional but the carrots and potatoes gives it the thickness like in the picture]
Method:
  1. Blend all ingredients with the exception of the carrots and potatoes with half a cup of water, adding more water if all ingredients do not mix well enough
  2. Wash goat meat very well and add the blended ingredients to it and let it marinate overnight (preferably) but if you want it fast just let it marinate for about an hour or two
  3. Scrape off as much marinade as you can, it will be used for later
  4. Fry the meat with butter and allow it to brown gently after 15mins transfer meat to a sauce pan add the potatoes and carrots and the scraped marinade and just enough water to cover the meat.
  5. Best way to have curry goat with rice n peas,steamed veggies and some fried plantains
  6. Let it boil then let it simmer until the meat is very tender. (this should take about 45mins to an hour)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Angwamu ni toolo beef(Rice w/ oil & salted beef)

Heeyyyy! Look who it is AGAIN!!! Haha! Yes, I am trying to keep my word. Today I wanted to share one of the commonest rice recipes that wer...